Simple musings, thoughts and ideas on educational technology, tech integration in the classroom and tech coaching . . . from my journey as a tech coach, computer science teacher and international educator.

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Going on Walkabout - A TechXcursion in your own School

Classroom walkthroughs are a popular and current tool for administrators to gauge what is going on in their school, but I have found walkthroughs to be a simple alternative to observational meetings as a Tech Coach.  I have divided up the HS into four different areas or zones, and I am intending on conducting a Walkthrough/Check-in of each area about once a week.  I have always been interested in getting into more of the HS classrooms on a regular basis, other than when I am meeting with a teacher, perhaps observing their class on their request, co-teaching a class, or delivering some kind of tech-related lesson to students.  Getting into HS classes can be especially challenging due to the usual reasons of time (many teachers equate a classroom visit to an unwanted disruption, or they go the other way to "put on a special tech show" for that one class), compartmentalization in the HS (a few teachers have a "closed-door" policy and do not want to be disturbed, ever), and fear of observation (some teachers perceive classroom visits as part of the teacher evaluation process).

I have only done a few of these walkabouts to date, but I think I have cracked the nut - finally!  I am branding my school walkabouts as Walkthrough/Check-ins to make them informal, short, strictly observational if there is a lesson going on, and teacher focussed if they are in a prep period or if they can stop and talk for a minute while I am there.  By making this less about the observation of their class (and the use/integration of technology in their lesson) and more about checking-in with them for how things are going (with the use/integration of technology in their classes), I am seeing an openness and appreciation that I have not seen before.

The "closed-door" teacher became much more welcoming and open when I was simply checking-in with them, rather than observing them.  The simple act of going to them to see how things are going seemed to validate that whatever level the integration and use of technology in their class is currently at, that it's alright.  I was coming to see them, to see how I can make things better, how I can help them "just in time" with something that they are working on, or tease out that niggling problem or question which they have never bothered to ask before or have forgotten about.  To me, a short check-in visit in a teacher's own space really helped to build currency between us.

Early days in our HS 1:1 program
For the "do not disturb" and the "am I being evaluated?" teachers, the unscheduled, informal and brief nature of the Walkthrough/Check-in has served to relieve the anxiety of the more formal (and lengthy) classroom observation.  I got a more realistic view into what is going on in their classroom with technology, had a chance to talk with students about what they are doing, and took the opportunity (if it presented itself) to check-in with the teacher on how things are going.  I find that the informal nature of the walkthrough, combined with the teacher-centric focus of the check-in, has helped to reduce "evaluation anxiety".  A good friend and mentor once told me that what I am best at (as a tech person) is "keeping it real".  I think the Walkthrough/Check-in model does just that, and gets rid of the anxiety and facade of classroom observations.

By conducting a short walkthrough of a section of the school, I can cover 1/4 of the HS faculty in 30-60 minutes.  I take notes along the way, and typically find a number of issues/problems/questions to further investigate, follow-up with and hopefully resolve.  Walkthrough-Check-ins also allow me to talk with students and see firsthand how technology is being used to enhance their learning.  I frequently hear about projects that particular teachers are doing with particular grades or classes.  But what about the other classes?  What about when their class is not working on a big or special project?  How is technology enhancing teaching and learning during those times?  What about the class or the teacher that I do not typically hear about?  What is happening in their class?  If I can conduct these Walkthrough/Check-ins on a regular basis over the school year, I will hopefully get some concrete answers to these questions.

Have you ever thought about doing walkthroughs?  Maybe you should!  If you are already going on walkabout, then how has it helped with being a tech coach or integrator?

No comments:

Post a Comment