Simple musings, thoughts and ideas on educational technology, tech integration in the classroom and tech coaching . . . from my journey as a tech coach, computer science teacher and international educator.

Friday, February 8, 2013

Why an EdTechBlog? And why SNiCK in the first place?

Why an EdTechBlog?

Well, this is a slightly complicated question for me to answer.  The first reason behind starting a blog is that my Tech Director (Bill MacKenty) really thinks it would be a good idea for me to increase my online presence and share what I have learned over the years with a wider audience.  I have never been one to stand up on a soapbox and tell people what they should do or what they should know.  I guess that I am just a little modest that way - perhaps it's the Canadian way, eh?  I can blame Bill for pushing/encouraging me to start blogging . . . so here I am . . . kicking and screaming?!?

Practising some self-reflection
The second reason comes from my readings about blogging and reflecting on my own professional practice. One tidbit of advice that I have read numerous times is that you should start a blog for yourself and not for others.  This started me thinking and reconsidering a number of times about whether I should start my own blog or not.  After a few starts and stops and starts all over again, here I am.  I am really writing this for myself as a reflection on my career in educational technology, what I have learned along the way, the things that I am currently working on at my school, and the things that I want to work on in the future.  If someone else chooses to read it and can learn something from me, well, that's the whole point about sharing isn't it?

As I write this, I am in the middle of my 23rd year as an educator, with the last 14 of them living and working overseas with my family in tow.  I started out teaching computer science and IT classes (with a few math classes thrown in) back in Vancouver, Canada.  After 9 years working in the same public high school, we decided to go overseas and teach internationally.  I never thought at the time that I would spend more time living/working overseas than I had already in Canada, but we are well past that point and intend "to stay out" for a lot longer as well.  Over the years, I have taught tech in one form or another from grades 6-12, within the Canadian, American, Turkish, IGCSE, IB MYP, IB DP and AP programs.  Nowadays, I no longer have any classes and instead have the challenging role of Tech Coach which means working with the entire HS faculty and student body as well as managing our 1:1 Laptop Program.  As I have had a leadership/coach/mentor/integrator role in some capacity at every school that I have worked in, Bill has been suggesting that I start a blog to write down my thoughts, ideas, suggestions, questions without answers, and other musings.  So I guess that this is for him in some way as well as for myself - thanks Bill for pushing me . . . over the cliff and into the Blogosphere!

And Why SNiCK?

Well, there's the obvious point that this is my name (my first initial is "S" where I go by my middle name Nick), and sadly, I could not use Nick.Kwan for my account as it was taken a long time ago.  So I went with SNick.Kwan for my account and everything else has followed suit.

So I got to thinking that I needed a catchy title for this blog and I could not come up with anything that really stuck in my mind.  Then I started playing with the letters in my name and how I could pull some kind of meaning out of them, which led to the formula shown above.  Being the geek that I am, I kinda like it . . . what do you think?

Addendum

I recently changed the name of this blog from SNiCK-EdTechBlog to what you see now . . . SNiCK-TechXcursion as I was never very comfortable with the EdTech part.  I wanted something catchier like Lucy Gray's "High Techpectations".  After searching around and finding numerous websites, blogs and  even companies who are using Techpectations, Techpedite, Techsploration and Techceptional, I finally settled on TechXcursions.  I think this merged-word describes my world travels in international schools, as well as my exploration and work in educational technology.  If you are reading this, I hope you find something enlightening, interesting or at least humorous . . . and remember this is all Bill's fault!


No comments:

Post a Comment